Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Battalion Forum Index -> Gaming Hardware, Build-your-own and Overclocking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olstar18
Recruit
Officer

re: computer upgrade

I'm looking into upgrading my pc again. Got a pretty good bonus coming next month. Anyways I'm looking at the i7-5820k. Anyone know if there are any peculiarities about the chip and maybe an idea of what a motherboard that will run it goes for.

olstar18
Recruit
Officer

The lack of response is getting a bit annoying. I know we got a couple tech guys in here.

Dark_Jackal
Recruit
Officer

I'm in the same boat as you so I'm curious as well.

TheSubEx
Lieutenant
Officer

I don't know any peculiarities with the chip, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. You'll need an X99 board, which means you'll be dishing out at least $200 for a motherboard (probably over $250 for a good one). Also bear in mind that you'll need to buy DDR4 ram, which is going to be another ~$80 for a 16 GB kit.

Ok thank you. Didn't know about having to switch out my ram

graemhoek
Recruit
Soldier

I've got a 5820k in one of my rigs and I like it a lot - I haven't bothered to OC it yet (my 4790K is OC'd to 4.7ghz and it shreds) and it runs everything well. I have it paired with a 980 ti hybrid. The only thing I'd warn is that it doesn't come with a cooler so you'll have to buy one. I have a NZXT Kraken x61. I like that cooler so much I bought it twice. The Corsair equivalent is quite serviceable. NZXT's CAM software is free now and makes any cooler much easier to use. https://camwebapp.com/

I bought a ASUS Sabretooth MoBo for it (and 32gb of DDR4 RAM), but that's a little much for most people. The ASUS X99-A MoBo is perfectly suitable, has Q-codes (the Sabretooth does not - they make troubleshooting much easier) and was easy to work with. The X99-A has a slightly higher failure rate than the Sabretooth, but as long as you don't bend the pins, you can RMA it.

I hope this helps. 

olstar18
Recruit
Officer

It does. Thought they usually come with a heat sink. Gonna stay away from the liquid cooling though.

Solohawnc
TheSoloHawk
On Leave
Soldier

Going anywhere to the 1151 Skylake Chip set CPUs it would be best to get a CPU watercooler, its not dangerous to setup (unless you're a monkey with not knowledge of what they are doing or something equivalent) but Keeping to Fan would need something very powerful to keep up with the CPU

olstar18
Recruit
Officer

Well newegg has links to these cooling fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856005

TheSubEx
Lieutenant
Officer

As long as you're not planning to overclock it much, then I guess you could get away with either of those. If you're going to overclock and you're still dead set on air cooling, then you'll need something a bit meatier, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709001

Looking through the stats on these things and I can't find anything really different between the one you posted and the two i posted except price. There a site that has more information that newegg provides.

TheSubEx
Lieutenant
Officer

Look at the dimensions. That Phanteks heatsink is about twice as big (more surface area to dissipate the heat) and has two fans that are both bigger (140mm vs 120mm). I used to have a Hyper 212 and I now have that Phanteks.

The link below sums it up. The Hyper 212 sits 6 degrees hotter than the Phanteks and that's on a 3960X, which draws less power than the 5820K. Again, if you want to overclock, then really you should be watercooling or in the very least dropping for a bigger air cooler. Cooler CPUs are happier CPUs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,3130-17.html

Ok. It compares the base version of the cool master. There is also the 612 v2 and the 212 dual fan. Plus stop bringing up overclocking.

Dark_Jackal
Recruit
Officer

Im looking for any good info on the upcoming Broadwell-E 6950x. It's compatible with X99 so it will interesting to see what pops up in the coming weeks ahead. Maybe early/mid-june?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Battalion Forum Index -> Gaming Hardware, Build-your-own and Overclocking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: